Planting blackcurrants means planning for huge harvests right in the middle of summer. Every July we find ourselves completely overrun with blackcurrants, and we’re always struggling to find creative blackcurrant recipes.
Most often, we preserve the flavorful fruits in blackcurrant jam or syrup for winter pancakes. Last year, we made a blackcurrant mead that was out of this world, and we enjoyed a warmly spiced blackcurrant liqueur around the holidays.
Still, I want to plan ahead and do more this year. July is a hard time to get the creative juices flowing. It’s hot, and there’s so much to do in the garden (and at the lake…). I’m putting all my ideas in one place, and hopefully, it helps you all find a few blackcurrant recipes for your own kitchen.
Black currants are naturally high in pectin, which makes them a great choice for homemade jams and jellies. A basic recipe involves one part currants and an equal amount of sugar with a splash of lemon juice. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 220 degrees f so that the jam has candied a bit thickened enough to stand up.
- Raspberry and Blackcurrant Jam – Fab food 4 All
- Simple Black Currant Jam – BBC Good Food
- Apple and Blackcurrant Jam – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Easy Blackcurrant Curd – Baking Queen 74
Blackcurrant Breakfast Recipes
Berries and breakfast go hand in hand. While usually we add blueberries to our oatmeal, blackcurrants add a tart kick and pack a lot of antioxidants for extra nutrition.
- Blackcurrant Jam Baked Oats – The Slimming Foodie
- Blackcurrant Breakfast Crumble – Lifestyle
- Fresh Blackcurrant Muffins – Anula’s Kitchen
- Blackcurrant Scones – Vikalinka
- Blackcurrant and Chia Seed Overnight Oats – Quite Good Food
Blackcurrant Main Courses
Though they are a fruit, blackcurrants are far more savory than the average berry. With hints of acid and deep red wine notes, they pair well with meats for main courses. Blackcurrants have a bit of wild, untamed flavor that compliments game meats perfectly. They’re especially good with duck, and I’m excited about trying them with Venison this year.
- Pork Medallions with Blackcurrant, Apple and Crispy Sage – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Warm Venison Salad with Blackcurrant Dressing – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Roast grouse with blackcurrant & beetroot sauce – BBC Good Food
- Duck with Cassis and Blackcurrants – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Blackcurrant Compote Glazed Ham – Vikalinka
Blackcurrant Drink Recipes
Blackcurrants naturally have a bit of astringency, paired with a full-bodied flavor, not unlike a good red wine. That works well in homemade drinks of all sorts, be it a hot blackcurrant tea or a summery blackcurrant mojito. Thus far, I’ve made cassis and mead with our blackcurrants, but the idea of muddling them into a cocktail has me hooked for this summer.
- Hot Blackcurrant and Orange Drink – Christina’s Cucina
- Blackcurrant Mojito – Little Sugar Snaps
- Blackcurrant Liqueur (Cassis) – Practical Self Reliance
- Blackcurrant Mead (Honey Wine) – Practical Self Reliance
Quick Blackcurrant Snack Recipes
Summertime is snacking time. It’s hot, and sometimes it’s hard to have the motivation to sit down to a full meal. Blackcurrant snack recipes are a great way to eat seasonally without investing too much time into preparation or sit down meals when the garden’s calling.
- Blackcurrant, Pear and Apple Popsicles – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Summer Fruit Popsicles with Blackcurrant – Farmersgirl Kitchen
- Blackcurrant and Coconut Post Workout Smoothie – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Blackcurrant Gelatin Cubes – Christina’s Cucina
Blackcurrant Dessert Recipes
Though blackcurrants can be a bit astringent, they pair well with sugar to make exceptionally flavorful desserts. Think of the full-bodied flavor of a red wine. I’ve made blackcurrant shortbread bars a number of times, and my mouth waters just thinking about them. This year I’m excited to try a blackcurrant swirl ice cream.
- Blackcurrant Shortbread Bars – Her Cup of Joy
- Lemon, Thyme and Black Currant Creme Brûlée – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Blackcurrant Pavlova – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Summer Berry Tart – Vikalinka
- Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies with Blackcurrant Jam – A Beautiful Plate
- Blackcurrant and Apple Steamed Pudding – Fuss Free Flavors
- Chocolate and Blackcurrant Torte – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Mini Chocolate and Blackcurrant Cakes – Fuss Free Flavors
- Healthy Cheesecake with Cottage Cheese and Blackcurrant Jam – The Worktop
- Lime and Blackcurrant Cheesecake – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Blackcurrant Cupcakes – Fuss Free Flavors
- Blackcurrant Ice Cream – The Blackcurrant Foundation
- Vegan Blackcurrant Ripple Ice Cream – Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
Other Ways to Use Blackcurrants?
What have I missed? If you have a favorite blackcurrant recipe, please share it in the comments. I’m always looking for new creative ideas to use up this summer bounty.
Latest posts by Ashley Adamant (see all)
- Off Grid Living Near the Arctic Circle ~ 6 Lessons Learned - November 14, 2018
- Homemade Goats Milk and Honey Soap ~ Easy Melt and Pour Recipe - November 13, 2018
- Winter Foraging in Cold Climates: 50+ Wild Foods in the Snow - November 13, 2018